I met Leslie back in 2007 (through blogging) and was lucky enough to spend some time at their lovely house back in 2010 which you can read a little about here, here and here. This visit, it was fun to see how much the kids had grown and changed since then. Ry is still her spunky gorgeous little self and I'm pretty sure Cade still has that crush on me! He is so dear. They were at such a fun age this visit and we quickly all became fans of one another. Especially Morgan. If there is one thing I have learnt from this trip it's kids LOVE Morgan! And Morgan, he is a big fan of kids! I am pretty sure he needs a whole soccer team of his own on day, and a swagger wagon too. Which he actually admitted on this trip 'weren't that bad' and that he 'wouldn't mind buying one one day!' but anyway that is another story for another day... Also a random thought, but Leslie - how did you manage to escape both our cameras so well!?!
here's a peak into what our four days with the P's looked like....
Monday 10th June.
- We flew into LAX around 10:30am. We were a little late arriving and then the airport changed our Arrival terminal (pretty sure that happened last trip too!) Top that with our phones not working in the country and no way to contact Leslie and we spent maybe the next half an hour both walking in and out of the airport doors to each arrival terminal and baggage claim area somehow missing each other each time! Till I had a bright moment of 'Why don't we just use the pay phone?" DUH! That moment when we spotted one another across the terminals was so exciting, especially when the kids came running full pelt at us. I know the kid's didn't remember me as they were too little when I visited last, so I am pretty sure they were just excited that they had FINALLY found those people that they were looking for! But I felt loved. Especially when I was tackled by Miss Rylan Mae and ended up flat on my bottom on the pavement with her on top of me!
- Our first stop was to Trader Joes (actually my first visit ever!) to pick up a picnic lunch and then we headed to the Great Park in Orange Country. And thus began our unlucky but very funny arrival at places which were 'under construction'. I mean seriously they must have heard we were coming because it seemed that almost everywhere Leslie tried to take us was 'Under construction' and it fast became a reoccurring joke.
- We picnicked at the great park and looked at the big balloon and the carousel (I think we need to come back sometime when it is open!) Then we hung around Laguna beach waiting for Nick to finish work. I was shocked at how cold the West Coast Ocean was!
- Tried Trader Joes Kettle Corn for the first time - oh my word!!!
- On the way home we got an inside look at how competitive those Patopoffs are as Nick and Leslie raced each other home, calling each others bluff and getting stressed as they wondered which way the other would take and would it pay off!?
- Once we arrived home we all jumped on trampoline together. We showed each other our 'moves', had a few mid air tea parties and took silly face photos. We have since found out that jumping is the perfect way to get over a 14 hour flight, although I have been told that 'Doing it' works the trick too ;) Oh Mr Pato!! Can you believe that M and I spent TWO whole hours on the trampoline just jumping away with the kids!?!?! And then jumped back on after dinner too!?
- To remember "What does a ninja drink? Warrrtaaa!!!"
- We had a perfect dinner outside on the patio in the warm summer evening under the festoon lights. It was blissful!
Tuesday 11th June.
- We had a pretty cruisey morning which started with a boardgame tournament with the kids. We played 'Headbandz' Kinda like 'Celebrity Heads' where you have a name of a celebrity on your head and have to ask questions till you have enough info to work out who you are. I had to laugh at Cade who kept asking if he was a parrot (the picture on the front of the box) until we actually gave him the parrot card and then he immediately stopped asking!
- After games we headed to the local pool and swam and snacked and swam some more. Watching Miss Rylan learning to swim.
- Cade announed that "I love you, and I just want you to stay forever"!
- Jumped on the trampoline some more - in fact Morgan and I tried to sneak onto the tramp during nap time but only succeeded in waking the kids up with our laughter and having Miss Rylan noticing us bouncing past the upstairs window from bed!!
- We took Morgan to Walmart for the first time and spent ages just wandering around looking at silly stuff and searching for 'people of Walmart'
- I bought some makeup - seriously can't get over how cheap it is in the States. And we stocked up on some favourite US candy too.
- Had 'In and Out' burgers for dinner. This was top of Nick's 'The Aussies must experience' list. It was yum!
- M couldn't believe his milkshake was only $2!!!
- Nick introduced us to Duck Dynasty....Mr A is now a huge fan and loves prancing around home with his Si t-shirt and tupperware glass of tea (oh boy, I have my very own redneck!)
- Then the boys (Nick and Morgan) had a ping pong tournament while us girls lazed and chatted on the couch. I have always dreamed that those two would get to play ping pong together one day as they are both addicts - to the point that both of them have taken their own bats with them on a daily basis! The tournament showed just how great a player Nick is as he wiped the floor with Morgan (someone who most people can't beat!) By the laughter and pure exhaustion they came back inside with, I'd say it was a great (and rather competitive) game.
Wednesday 12th June.
- Wednesday was Mr Nick's birthday and I was kinda sad that we got to have all the fun while he headed off to the office for the day - boo for being grown ups!
- We snuggled a little in bed in the morning with Ry and Cade and then headed to Temecula Berry Farm for our first ever 'You Pick' Experience. We were huge fans of the whole experience and M was SO excited and SO into the whole thing! Searching high (and low) for the perfect berries to fill his bucket with. It was very cute. I really wish we had more of these farms here at home as they are such a fun days outing and something I would love to do with our own kids one day.
- We jumped some more on the trampoline - that thing was our daily workout while we were visiting, and oh my the laughter!
- Then Nick came home from work and some long time friends of the P's were in town from Kansas and stayed the night with their too littles. Such a great surprise and way to celebrate for Nick :)
- After the littles went to bed (and cutely plotted their adventures for the next day together) we had an adults game night and laughed over Apples to Apples and Catchphrase while eating a truck load of junk food like teenagers.
- M and I tried Root beer for the first time (M was a HUGE fan and has since been hunting it down back here at home). We also tried Hot Tamales and cinnamon gummy bears and watched as Nick, Leslie and friends tried a box of aussie birthday chocolates from us - boost bars, crunchies, dreams etc...
Thursday 13th June.
- Thursday was my 25th birthday and I celebrated my first ever Summer birthday. It was over 30 degrees!!!
- I woke up to a beautifully decorated kitchen and dining room complete with a scrappy fabric bunting, hand written sign by Rylan and cute drink flags (I wish I had taken more photos!) and the loveliest blueberry waffles, made with our pickings from the day before.
- We spent the day floating in the Lake and lazing on the shore, eating fresh shrimp salsa with corn chips and ice cold water. It was divine!
- I plaited and curled Rylans hair (which lasted until she jumped onto the trampoline and it fell flat lol!)
- The adults went out for dinner to celebrate the June birthdays and I think it's safe to say that Leslie and I won dinner. Our Pulled Pork was one of the most amazing meals I have ever eaten - I am sure we will both continue to have dreams about that meal for the rest of our lives. Like seriously!
- Morgan had his first ever tipping experience.
- Came home to a few episodes of Duck Dynasty and a spot of crafting.
Until next time....