May 30, 2008

hooray for a new car!

Dear Arnie-V,

To say we never really got along would be an understatement to say the least. Ours was a hate-hate relationship except for those few times when you would behave yourself. This usually happened when I would complain that you were doing something wrong and when dad took you to see what the problem was you would behave like a little angel! This made me so mad that I spent most of my time not on speaking terms with you (even though you are a car and could not talk back anyway) and now that I have spent a week without you I know that we are both much better off.

It must have been our rocky beginning, how I thought I was ‘upgrading’ – I finally had air conditioning! Perhaps it would have been better to warn me that no, this would not be in your plans and no the air conditioning would not be functioning for the first few weeks of out time together!

And what was with your attitude towards the central locking that you were all "oh my gosh do I really, REALLY have to make the lock come all the way up everytime you press that button? It is just so much effort!"

Then there was the fact that you would stall on me in embarrassing or inappropriate situations like when I was merging into traffic – even though YOU ARE AN AUTOMATIC and you are not supposed to stall! And then I would be honked at and told to move and no matter how quickly I tried to get you to start up again you made it clear that you were perfectly comfortable sitting right in the middle of everything thanks! Or how I would be running late for work and you would just refuse to start, yeah like THAT was even funny!

Remember that time we took you to my cousins wedding that long weekend in Wollongong? It was such a long trip and on such a hot day (remembering that your air conditioning was still broken) and you overheated on the way home, right near the freeway exit only 15 mins from home? It was so bad and there was such damage to your seals that you needed a new motor.. so we towed and rolled you down the hill (as pictured) with dad driving behind with his hazards on (man that was scary!) and parked you outside our mechanics. But alas where ever there’s trouble it seems it would find you. It was of course a public holiday and so we weren't able to let our mechanics know that you were there so you had to sit outside and those nasty vandals broke in that night and stole your cd player that we brought and put in you only 2 weeks earlier! They also broke your left hand lock and made some nasty scratches near your handle. That was mean and no I don't believe that you deserved that – ‘farty’ speakers aside.

Six months and I had had enough, so I put the for sale signs on you and put you in Fridays paper but you had other ideas and decided that you would not go down easy. You then blew two fuses, that controlled your dashboard and taillights not once but twice and you picked some very dark windy and hilly roads to do it on too! Luckily you were sold on the Monday night by the first people who saw you at the price I wanted all along – and that was perhaps the only moment I was truelly happy with you :)
I hope you have fun at your new home and that you behave yourself! and no I am not really sad that we must part ways because now I’m back to a little excel again (those things never want to die even with 330,000k's!) Oh and I also had enough money in the budget to get one of these…

farwell arnie!
Katie

Btw – for anyone who has actually made it to the end of this looong post and knows anything about cameras any comments and feedback would be muchly appreciated . I've been looking into the Nikon D80 (used by Soule Mamma) or a Canon EOS 40D?? something midlevel although I've been so busy to actually go and look at any cameras yet. But any help, ideas and suggestions would be muchly appreciated :)

2 comments:

  1. I have a similar relationship with my car... except that I love it to bits but it just gives me no love back. It has had a neverending string of problems with it from the time I got it, and finally a couple of weeks ago I had the mother of all problems: engine and turbo death. Aiii! I can't even sell it (even if I had any desire to) in its current state! Thankfully I hardly need to drive anyway. What's your replacement going to be?

    Re: camera - I'd go a Canon EOS 40D. I tried both out while I was in Japan (considered buying one cos they're a bit cheaper there) and the 40D was definitely my preference. But I decided to hold out to see what the 50D has to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i'm so delighted to have found this sweet blog of yours! how exciting to be getting a new cam & car. we use a d80 and love, love it. it was such a great investment.

    ReplyDelete